Fresh data from Delhi Police: More than 60 per cent of sexual abuse cases committed by known persons
In an affidavit filed by the Delhi Police in Delhi High Court regarding its directions for “crime mapping” in sexual offences against women, it said that from the analysis emerging out from cases registered till 15th October, 2014, majority of the accused were persons known or related to the victims in cases of molestation, rape and eve – teasing.
In the affidavit submitted by the Deputy Commissioner of Police (HQ) G. S. Aswana said that 1,704 rape cases were reported till 15th October 2014. Out of these, the accused were strangers only in 4.23% cases. Father was involved in 43 cases and step – father in 23 cases. Husband/ ex – husband was involved in 27 cases and uncle/ maternal uncle in 32 cases. Neighbour was involved in 352 cases and family friends in 83 cases. In 642 cases, accused is victim’s own friend.
Profile of the accused persons:
- Literacy levels : In 1704 registered cases, 1613 persons has been arrested. Out of these 116 were illiterate, 570 school dropouts, 655 X standard pass and 37 graduates.
- Age – wise: 122 of the accused were under 18 years of age, 780 between 18 – 25 years of age, 580 between 25 – 35 years of age, 108 between 35 – 50 years of age, and 23 above 50 years of age.
- Class status: 1,265 accused belonged to poor class and 343 to middle class. 5 belonged to upper class.
Profile of Victims:
- Of the 1711 victims, four were below the age of two years.
- 1,098 victims were from lower class of society and 599 victims belonged to middle class. 14 were were from upper class.
- 1,198 of the victims were unmarried and the remaining 513 were married.
This affidavit has ben filed by the Delhi Police in response to Delhi High Court’s directions hearing to a writ petition filed by a social activist Nandini Dhar, seeking directions for controlling rising crimes against women in the Capital.